Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Super Awesome Trip to Disney World

We were fortunate enough to be able to spend December 1-9 in Florida at Walt Disney World. My son and his wife are doing the Disney college program and wanted us to come out for a visit.

My son is a skipper on the Jungle Cruise and my daughter-in-law works at the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney.


We had such a blast. I think I'll break up my posts so this one isn't so long. My husband and I and 7 of our kids all flew to Denver where we met my two older daughters who flew from Salt Lake to meet us. Together we all flew out to Orlando--a more than 3 hour flight. Our youngest was somewhat of a challenge on the plane, but the rest of the kids were fine (except for my 6-year-old who has the world's smallest bladder and has to use the restroom multiple times. I think Ill ask Santa to give her a bigger bladder for Christmas).

We arrived in Orlando and picked up the 12-passenger van we rented. The lady at the counter wondered if we knew much about vans and that insurance for vans was different than for cars. Um, yeah, we actually own a 15-passenger van.

We rented a house about 10 miles from Disney World. Best. Decision. Ever. Not only was it less than half the cost of hotel rooms, it was big enough that we weren't stepping all over each other. We had 5 bedroom and 4 bathrooms (with so many girls in the same house having that many bathrooms was wonderful compared to what we would've had in a hotel). And, the house was nice. not enough couch room for all of us, but it had a pool table which my 4-year-old loved. It also had a Foosball table and a pool, but we elected not to heat the pool because we figured we wouldn't be there much (and we were right).>



So, I would heartily recommend that if you go to DW, you consider renting a house. It's about the same price as a hotel room--just under $100 a night--but you get lots and lots more room. We also made our breakfast and then packed lunches to try to offset the ridiculously high prices of food on Disney property (that will be another post).

4 comments:

Patty B. said...

Lucky You! What a fun vacation! I didn't know you could rent a house for just a short time - here you're locked in for a year!
Can totally relate to the bathroom visits, 15-passenger van, and making your own lunches/food. We've been to Disneyland a few times and have done the same things.
Gee, I can't wait for your next posts about your trip. What a nice thing to have kids that work at Disney World! By my kids' comments, they'd live there if they could. And who could blame them; I would too!

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Sounds like a lot of fun. How did you find out about the house for rent by the day?

kbrebes said...

What a wonderful trip for the family! Looking forward to the rest of your posts. Merry Christmas, Rebecca.

Rebecca Talley said...

Thank you, everyone. We found the rental house on a website that's dedicated to vacation rentals. Actually, my husband found it and it has vacation rentals all over the world. I'll see if I can get the website address from my husband.