Friday, December 24, 2010

Merry Christmas

I hope everyone will have a peaceful and blessed Christmas!

I think Christmas has become so commercialized. We have a local radio station that plays Christmas songs throughout the month of December. For every hour's worth of music, it plays 2-3 songs about Jesus. The rest of the songs are about Santa, Rudolph, and toys. Don't get me wrong, I love Santa. I love gift giving, I love trying to find the perfect gift. And I love to surprise people with gifts they didn't expect. For me, the gift buying and giving is far more fun than the receiving. I decorate my tree the day after Thanksgiving and even sneak in Christmas music in October. I LOVE Christmas.

Yet, I think I get so caught up in what needs to be done, especially with so many kids, that I forget to take time to enjoy the true reason for the celebration. I don't get caught up in the commercialization as much as all of the "things" that need to happen--Christmas cards, wrapping, decorating, making gifts, shopping, concerts, parties, etc. For me, I need to take time to remember my Savior. I need to think about that small baby born so many years ago amongst the animals. The baby whose life will make it possible for me to not only be with my loved ones again, but also with my Heavenly Father. His birth is the most important event of mortality.

I don't pretend to understand how it all works--how He could take upon Him all of our sins or atone for each of us, but I know that I am so very grateful He did. I am so thankful that He was born to a young mother in lowly circumstances. That He spent His life teaching and helping others. That when the time came He did not falter, He willingly gave His life for me. And it all began with His birth. His wonderful, sacred birth.

I an so blessed to have the gospel in my life. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful family. I am so blessed. I am very grateful for this time of year and for my Savior .

Merry Christmas!
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

kbrebes said...

A beautiful post, Rebecca. I am grateful for our Savior, too. For those who have committed heinous sins, they find out the atonement is the only way they can cope with the horrendous regret they are left to suffer after finding or acknowledging the truth. I'm grateful for the atonement in my life and for the opportunity to share it with those needing forgiveness and joy.