Monday, December 8, 2008

Talents

Two of my daughters and I participated in a craft fair on Saturday. Prior to the fair, my daughters made earrings, t-shirts, and Christmas ornaments. I was impressed with the beauty and uniqueness of each pair of earrings, t-shirt, and candy cane ornaments they made. I tried my hand at a few pair of earrings, but decided my talent must be elsewhere so I offered my books for sale.

Unfortunately, we didn’t attract a large crowd for the fair and of those that attended, few were interested in what we offered. I did sell my books and we sold a few pairs of earrings and some ornaments. Sales weren’t what my daughters had hoped for, but it was still a good experience because they discovered new talents.

In Matthew 25:15-30 we learn about the parable of the talents. The first two servants increased their talents while the third buried his. When the master came to collect the talents, he was pleased with his first two servants who had doubled their talents. Said he to the servants, “ . . . Well done good and faithful servant, thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord” (Matthew 25:23).

When he asked the third servant about the talent he’d been given, the servant replied, “ And I was afraid, and went and hid thy talent in the earth; lo, there thou hast that is thine” (Matthew 15:25). The master was displeased that his servant had not increased the talent he’d been given. The master took the talent from the unprofitable servant and gave it to the first servant.

“For unto every one that hath shall be given, and he shall have abundance: but from him that hath not shall be taken away even that which he hath” (Matthew 25:29). In other words, if we do not increase our talent we will lose even that talent which we possess.

Heavenly Father has blessed each one of us with talents. It’s up to us individually to do something with that talent.

Sometimes, it’s difficult to know what talent we’ve been blessed with. In the past, when I’ve attended Relief Society talent nights, I’ve felt self-conscious because I don’t sing, dance, or play an instrument. I don’t sew, can, or knit (actually, I really like to knit and crochet, but I’m not very good at it). I love to write, but still don’t know if it’s actually a talent or I’m just too stubborn to give it up.

Talents aren’t only what we can see or hear. I have a sister who has a talent for empathy. If she becomes aware of anyone that’s struggling, she’s quick to lend help and support. I have kids whose talents include compassion, faith, obedience, optimism, and kindness. My husband has a talent for gentleness and meekness.

If we hide our talents because we fear what others may say or think, we won’t be able to accomplish that which Heavenly Father wants us to accomplish. We each have specific talents for a reason. We need to do our best to develop our talents and use them to bless the lives of others.

Return to the neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. Welcome to the yourLDSneighborhood newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDS interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

3 comments:

Karlene said...

Speaking of talents, I just saw your story in The Friend. Congrats!

Randall said...

Great article Rebecca. You truly have a gift and talent for writing. I aspire to be like you and others in the AI group. Thanks for sharing with us.

BTW, I too read your story in the friend. It was great!

Randy

Rebecca Talley said...

Thank you, Karlene and Randy.