Friday, December 26, 2008

Importance of Education

“Seek learning, even by study and also by faith" (D&C 88:118).

After my father’s death, my mom was unable to provide a living for my sister and me. She didn’t have an education, or any skills, so when she was widowed at such a young age she was almost helpless. She struggled to find a job and a way to support our family. It was difficult and as a young girl, I made up my mind that I would never be in the same situation. I determined to receive my education so if the situation ever required me to support my family, I could. I graduated from BYU with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Communications.

Thankfully, Heavenly Father has blessed my family and me and I haven’t had to face the same situation as my mother nor have I had to work outside of the home. I’m very thankful for the blessing to be able to stay home and raise my children and have a strong testimony of the blessings that come from being able to stay home.

I was once told by a family member, “If I’d known you were going to waste your education raising children, I would never have encouraged you to go to college.” Is my education wasted on my children? Absolutely not. My education makes me a better mother.

In For the Strength of Youth it states, “The Lord wants you to educate your mind and improve your skills and abilities. Education will help you to be an influence for good in the world. . . Be willing to work diligently and make sacrifices to obtain learning. Education is important to the Lord and he will help us to obtain it.

The Lord has counseled us to understand “ . . . things both in heaven and in the earth, . . . that [we] may be prepared in all things" (D&C 88:78–80).

An education is never wasted because the knowledge we attain in this life will go with us to the next. “Whatever principle of intelligence we attain unto in this life, it will rise with us in the resurrection. And if a person gains more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his diligence and obedience than another, he will have so much the advantage in the world to come” (Doctrine and Covenants 130:18-19).This is especially true of the gospel knowledge we attain, but also applies to secular knowledge.

The more we can educate ourselves the better. Education, of course, is not limited to schooling. I’m confident that no matter how many parenting classes I could take, nothing could teach me about parenting like having my own children. We have the opportunity to gain knowledge all around us, but the best place to gain the knowledge that will help us eternally is in the scriptures and from latter-day prophets.

After all, “The glory of God is intelligence . . .” (Doctrine and Covenants 93:36).

Return to the neighborhood.

And while you're there, subscribe to our fantastic newsletter. Welcome to the yourLDSneighborhood newsletter. In addition to being able to shop in the new virtual neighborhood, the LDS newsletter brings you LDS articles, LDS products, LDS services, LDS resources and LDS interviews from around the world—all with an LDS focus. Look for issues delivered to your email inbox every week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. LDS Newsletter Subscriptions are FREE, and joining is easy.

1 comment:

Christine Thackeray said...

Just so you know, I'm wasting my education too. I do have to say that my teenage daughter did tell me she felt like she was cheating at Shakespeare because we have such deep discussion after reading the plays together. I love it!