Wednesday, April 2, 2008

New Calling

I have been serving as the Assistant Nursery Leader at church. I've loved it. My youngest is in the nursery and I wanted to be with him. I've also enjoyed listening to the Primary songs, snacking on pretzels, reading books, and playing with the kids. The nursery is so fun. It's also low-key and easy-going. A perfect calling for me.

Last week, my bishop (who's also my brother-in-law) called me to serve with the Young Women as the Assistant Advisor to the Beehives. I had mixed feelings because I loved being in the nursery with my son, but when the Lord calls you to serve somewhere else, you serve somewhere else.

I am very excited to work with the Beehives. I love to teach. I'd much rather teach than be taught because I learn so much more that way (and I love to hear myself talk--HA). I love thinking about a lesson and applying it to real life. I love searching the scriptures to add to the lesson and sharing personal stories where I've learned something about the subject I'm presenting. I love to engage the girls in discussions so I can hear what's on their minds and see how the lesson is reaching them. I also enjoy the energy of the girls and the excitement of the Beehives that are still BMLA (Before the Mia Maid-Laurel Attitude). The Beehives are still excited for the activities and still look forward to the lessons because they don't quite know everything, yet.

I'm really looking forward to my new calling. I'll miss being with my son in the nursery. I guess I have to cut that umbilical cord sometime, right?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am fascinated with how life on a ranch might be. I have this idyllic picture of being out in the boondocks surrounded by nature in the midst of the mountains. This somehow doesn't jive with being the beehive teacher in a ward. What is it really like?

G. Parker said...

Sounds like your going to be great! Young Women's is a calling I've always wanted, and never had.

by the way...I've tagged you on my blog!

Unknown said...

Working with the young women in my ward was of my favorite callings in the Church. Bar none! You'll have a blast.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your new calling! You'll be great. I haven't heard of the BMLA, but I agree that enthusiasm wears off at about age 14, probably because they are noticing boys and vice versa. Knowing something about each girl personally helps you to ask questions to get them to think about how the lesson applies to them.

Joyce DiPastena said...

Hi Rebecca,
Just thought I'd browse your blog tonight. :-) I was petrified when the bishop put me in YA. Having never been married, the only teenagers I'd had much experience with were piano students, which could be challenging enough. Fortunately, I started out with the Beehives and fell in love with my 2 (and later, 3) girls. So much so, that I moved up with them when they became Mia Maids. I even cried when they finally released me to call me back into RS (education counselor). But those girls, now Laurels, still come to choir (which I also direct), email me, and I still count them among my unique "friends". To this day, I still thank my Heavenly Father for the calling I never wanted!

Unknown said...

hi rebecca -- this is going to be great, it will be :)

and you made me crack up how you said, "Before the Mia Maid-Laurel Attitude." ah ha.

great night bloggy girlie, kathleen :)

Rebecca Talley said...

Thanks for your comments. I'm excited for the adventure!

Trafford, I'm blogging about my life on a ranch.

Anonymous--thanks for visiting :)

Shellie said...

I was in nursery forever and now I'm with the beehives too, you're following me. :)