Thursday, December 1, 2011

A Long Month

November was a very long month as months go. Seems like our family was hit with trials all at once. Through these experiences, I've been able to learn a few things.

1. There is no peace like the peace that comes from God. He is there to comfort us and help us when things are difficult.
2. God wants to bless us, even in times of difficulty. One of the sweetest ways is through priesthood blessings.
3. I am raising eternal children and an eternal family. Activities are fun and watching them develop talents is important, but everything is secondary to living the gospel.
4. Don't stress about the small stuff. It's okay if the house is messy or the meal isn't gourmet or my shoes don't match my purse. Stress about what is truly important: saying prayers, studying scriptures, attending meetings and the temple, serving others, family unity, having FHE, focusing on the Savior, and living the gospel--the rest of it doesn't matter too much.
5. Prioritize the most important things.
6. Love others as the Savior does and don't be selfish with blessings. Kindness and love go a long way in soothing a soul.
7. Heavenly Father knows and loves each one of us and He watches over us and inspires others to help when necessary. It is our responsibility to be prepared to be inspired. What a blessing it is to see this in action.
8. Don't be so judgmental and critical of others' actions or inactions because you just don't know what they may be struggling with or what burdens they may be silently carrying. Better to give someone the benefit of a doubt than to assume something that isn't true.

Life is a beautiful thing. It is such a blessing to live in mortality and to learn to rely on God. He knows all and understands all, even when we don't, or especially when we don't. If we learn nothing else in this life, we must learn to trust in Him.

I am truly thankful for all that I've been blessed with. I don't live in a mansion or drive a fancy car. I'm usually dressed in sweats with no make-up. I don't go on exotic vacations every year or get may hair and nails done each week. But, I have what matters most. A loving, honorable husband who is steadfast and immovable and loves me and our children, children who are trying to make the right choices each day and showing me how to be a better person, extended family that quietly serves and sets a Christlike example for me, and I have the most important thing of all, the gospel of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

COOLWHIP said...

LOVE this. Thank you.

Sherrie said...

You really put things in perspective. I Loved this post! Thanks for sharing!