Tuesday, November 2, 2010

We Can Vote

First page of Constitution of the United StatesImage via Wikipedia"We believe that  governments were instituted of God for the benefit of man; and that he holds men accountable for their acts in relation to them, both in making laws and administering them, for the good and safety of society." (Doctrine and Covenants 134:1)

Today we have the opportunity to vote. I believe that we are held accountable for the choices we make, even when it comes to voting.  It's so important that we vote for those that we think will best represent us and will do what we feel is best for our great country. In my area, there is a candidate who represents most of my beliefs. Unfortunately, she supports abortion. I cannot vote for her because abortion is too important to me. Yes, by not voting for her I will not counteract a vote for the other candidate who does not represent my beliefs at all. But, in the end, I cannot vote for any candidate that supports abortion and I have to vote my conscience.

Our government should benefit us, not drain us, and it should uphold the Constitution. The Constitution is a divinely inspired document and it was created  for our good. "And for this purpose have I established the Constitution of this land, by the hands of wise men whom I raised up unto this very purpose, and redeemed the land by the shedding of blood" (Doctrine and Covenants 101:80). Many politicians seem to be trampling on this document claiming that it is outdated and needs to be modernized. I disagree. It has served us well for over 200 years and it was inspired by God. I believe in upholding the Constitution. I believe that our government should serve us, not the other way around. I believe that I should have freedom of religion, freedom of speech, and freedom to choose my own healthcare. I believe our government has grown far too big and is overstepping its bounds. I believe we need to cut out the wasteful spending and vote out those who do not have the integrity to represent our citizens and our Constitution. Too many politicians have been corrupted by power and forget that they work for us and should be representing our best interests, not theirs.

Today we can send a message. We can let our voices be heard. We can stand for our Constitution.

We can vote.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: