Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Ice Cream Before Breakfast

I probably won't be nominated for "Mother of the Year" because I gave my 4-year-old an ice cream sandwich before breakfast today. Why? We were celebrating.

For the last few months, when I get him up, I sit him on the toilet. We read and sing and talk. We do sign language. We laugh. And we wait. We wait and wait and wait for him to do something more than just sit there being cute. Every morning he sits for a while, then hops off, and flushes the unused toilet. We then wash hands and say "Yay." He even does the thumbs up sign now and again. I figured getting him into the routine would help. And guess what? It did.

Today, he used the toilet for reals. I don't know who was more surprised, but I know I was more excited. One less poopy diaper for me. Yay! I clapped and shouted and jumped up and down. He probably thought I was crazy. But I was so excited. Funny how a little thing like that can make a grown woman act so ridiculous.

I'm sure we'll continue to potty-train for months yet, but this was a step in the right direction and I decided it was worthy of an ice cream sandwich celebration. Yay for one less poopy diaper today!

5 comments:

Nikki~Down syndrome Storyteller said...

That is SO WORTH an ice cream sandwich!! Yay for him!

Mutti said...

Some things ARE that important!

Tina Scott, author, artist said...

Ice cream is dairy--and dairy is one of the four food groups. I'm sure it doesn't have much more sugar than boxed cereal. Good job on the potty training. Sounds like you're very patient.

Ashlie said...

I just watched "Extra C" again and it is just so good! Jared is just the absolute cutest!!I think an ice cream sandwich was excellent!! Yay Jared!!Way to go!!

Patty B. said...

For that accomplishment, I'd have probably dished up a HUGE BOWL of ice cream along with the singing, and dancing!
Congratulations!