Monday, September 13, 2010

Gratitude for Priesthood Blessings

My husband always gives the kids  a father's blessing when they start school. He gave the older 4 kids their blessings a few weeks ago because our oldest left for Florida to work at Disney World with his wife. The next two oldest left for Provo to go to school. #4 thinks she's already in college and is as old as the other 3, even though she's still in high school (she's always considered herself older than she is). The first 4 kids have been dubbed "the big kids" so generally they all do the same things. Anyway, my husband gave each of them wonderful blessings for a new school year.

Last night, he gave blessings to the younger 6. It was a wonderful night. We all felt the Spirit so strongly. My 9-year-old son had tears in his eyes when my husband concluded his blessing. My 4-year-old jumped up on the chair and instructed his father where to lay his hands and as soon as my husband laid his hands on my son's head, he had the biggest smile stretch across his face. It was adorable.

I don't even think I can adequately expess my gratitude to my Heavenly Father for such wonderful blessings and for sending me such amazing children who work so hard to make good choices. I know it isn't easy being "in the world" these days. There are so many forces working against them, vying for their attention, and trying to tempt them to make bad choices.  They hear so much profanity each day. Their classmates are drinking and doing drugs. 14-year-old kids are sexually active. (I always find it interesting that society won't allow kids under 16 to drive or under 18 to vote or under 21 to legally drink, but they can be 13 or 14  and participate in sexual behavior and somehow that's okay as long as they're "safe"). I'm just so thankful that my kids are working hard, despite all the temptations, to keep the commandments.

I am also so very grateful that my husband honors his priesthood and can offer blessings to all of us. I am thankful each day that Heavenly Father blessed me with a man who loves the Lord and who loves me and the kids so much. He is a great example to me of trying to live a Christ-like life. He is such a good man, I often wonder why I was so blessed to find him. He gave me a wonderful blessing as well last night and my heart is full of gratitude for it.

As a youth, I did not have the priesthood in my home. I never had a father's blessing because I couldn't go to my grandfather for a blessing. I didn't have blessings when I was sick. Now, I realize how much I missed. What a blessing it is to have the priesthood in my home and to have a man who honors it and uses it to bless the lives of others. I am so grateful to Heavenly Father for allowing us to have the priesthood in these latter days and for allowing me to have it in my life.  

2 comments:

Del said...

I feel so grateful to my Heavenly Father for blessing me with such a good, faithful, beautiful wife and for our wonderful children. I'm also grateful that the gospel and the priesthood authority has been restored to bless our family and all of God's children. It is a humbling and beautiful experience to speak the words the Spirit dictates and to pronounce blessings upon those whom I love so very much. I consider it an honor, a privilege, and a great blessing to use this sacred authority to bless my family. Thank you for asking for a blessing.

Angie said...

I know. I'm so thankful for the priesthood too. It is so wonderful to have that in the home! Thanks for a lovely post.