Friday, May 7, 2010

Review: Summer in Paris by Michele Ashman Bell

I recently read Summer in Paris a YA novel for the national market by popular and  prolific author Michele Ashman Bell. Though I did receive a complimentary copy from Valor Publishing and think Michele is one of the sweetest and kindest women I know, that did not influence my review. I read this book with interest because I want to find clean reads for my daughters and I'm happy to see one for the national market by a talented LDS author.

Kenzie is a spoiled little rich girl from New York. Her parents have handed her everything and she has no responsiblities. Her life revolves around her friends, her dancing, and money. She flips out when her parents tell her they've lost everything and she has to go stay with her relatives in Paris . . . Idaho. On top of that, her parents decide to separate.

I love this premise. Too many kids are spoiled rotten and don't know how to work. They don't even think about it. I loved that Michele threw her character into a country setting. I thought Kenzie's reactions were realistic and I loved watching her attitude change through the course of the story.

I really enjoyed the sweet romance and the mystery. Michele added a twist to the mystery. I thought the minor chracters were developed well. Tawni is especially annoying and reminded me of girls I knew growing up. I laughed at Hoover's new activity interest because I can relate. You'll have to read the book to see what I mean.

Summer in Paris is a fun read, but it also touches on issues like casting judgment and making false assumptions. I also like the friendship that's portrayed. I think young women will especially enjoy this book. I guess that makes me a young woman because I enjoyed it!

Look for this book in LDS bookstore or visit http://www.valorpublishinggroup.com/Books/summer-in-paris.php. You can learn more about Michele Ashman Bell here.

3 comments:

Nichole Giles said...

Sounds like a way cute book. I need to get a copy. Thanks for the review.

Stephanie Abney said...

Great review, Rebecca!! I'm also reading this book and have been enjoying it. :)

Joan Sowards said...

So fun. I look forward to reading Summer in Paris.