Thursday, April 8, 2010

I'm a Slacker

Yep, it's true. I keep meaning to post on my blog and I keep getting sidetracked. I woke up one day and it was March 5th and the next day it was April 5th. The month whizzed past me so fast I didn't even see it go by.

But, I do have good excuses. We took our kids to CA to visit family and then to Disneyland. I grew up in Santa Barbara (I took the photo of SB in my header). My parents both grew up in SB, that's where they met in high school. My dad's family is Italian and Catholic. So, when we went to visit we had a bigh Italian family gathering (picture "My Big, Fat Greek Wedding" as "My Big, Fat Italian Family Party" and you get the idea). It was fabulous. I met cousins I didn't even know I had. My dad's first cousin owns an authentic Italian restaurant and we had a fantastic dinner. Her grandfather, my great-grandfather, immigrated from Italy to CA and was a chef. He cooked for government officials and dignitaries in CA and he made this amazing ravioli dish. So my dad's cousin found his old recipe and cooked those for us. Delicious.

The guest of honor was my 94-year-old grandmother (my father's mother and daughter of the chef). She can't see well (macular degeneration) but she is as much a spitfire as ever. She's full of pep and spunk and still flirts with all the men (including my husband). She was in her glory at this party that reunited parts of the family that had been feuding (we go all out for everything, including fighting). It was great to see so many people there to honor my grandmother and it was a great time visiting with everyone. I loved every minute of it and even took pictures.

What a fantastic family party.

1 comment:

Danyelle Ferguson said...

That's so awesome you got to spend time with your extended family. I'm glad you're doing well. Can't wait to see you at the Storymakers conference.