Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Altared Plans, Chapter 1, Part 3

“Cait, you’re being way too dramatic. Get a hold of yourself. We’ll work something out, and it will be fine.”

“Mom, this is my one and only wedding day. I wanted it to be perfect, and now my veil is missing.”

Her mother checked her watch. “We need to get inside the temple. Your endowment session will begin in less than an hour and you need to prepare. You don’t need your veil until you leave the temple after the ceremony. I’ll make some calls and see if someone can go to the house and find it and then bring it down here.” She cupped Caitlyn’s chin in her hand. “Your day will be perfect and you will be a beautiful bride.”

Caitlyn closed her eyes and contained her breathing. She opened her eyes and said, “Thanks, Mom. And, thanks for coming with me. I know it’s hard for you to go to the temple without Dad, but I’m so happy you’ll be with me.”

“Me, too. I wouldn’t miss my baby getting married for anything.” Her mom wiped at her eyes.

“Mom, don’t get me started. I’m emotional enough.”

Caitlyn and her mom embraced.

Lindsay approached them. “I’ll take Dad over to the visitor’s center. Maybe he’ll like it. Or not.”

Caitlyn and her mother walked to the entrance of the temple and opened the large door. Caitlyn noticed the sign that said, “Members Only,” and wished her Dad could accompany them. She stepped inside, toward the desk.

She and her mom waited behind another couple and their parents, while a different couple stood in the waiting area holding garment bags. It was a busy day for the temple. She held her bag tightly. “I wonder if Justin is here yet. I can’t wait to see him.”

“I assume they’re here.” Her mom reached over and adjusted Caitlyn’s necklace.

After a few minutes, the outside door opened and Caitlyn turned to see Justin’s parents. She grinned.

Justin’s father motioned for her to come out to him. She looked at her mom and they both exited the temple.

“Hello, Caitlyn,” he said in a strained voice. He seemed distracted. Caitlyn figured it was due to the impending events of the day.

“Hi.” She craned her neck to see if she could catch a glimpse of her way hot, soon-to-be groom. Excitement welled up inside.

“I . . . we . . . well . . .,” Justin’s dad stammered.

“Where’s Justin?” Caitlyn said with a smile.

Justin’s mom stepped forward. Her eyes were bloodshot. “We have some . . . bad news.”

Read Part 4 of Chapter One.You can purchase Altared Plans at Seagull Books.

3 comments:

Tamara Hart Heiner said...

oo, can't wait!

Lourie said...

Do you happen to write for 24!? What a place to cut a person off! Arrrgghhh!

As Told By Molly said...

Hey, I was reading that! Guess I'll have to come back for the rest. ;) Thanks for stopping by my humble blog abode. I think it's great that you have a big family, I'm one of 12 kids, and love it. Also, it is more than very cool that you have a llama named Tina.