Tuesday, April 21, 2009

My Son is a Life Scout

Woo hoo! My son is a Life Scout. My oldest son earned his Eagle about 7 years ago and I remember vividly the work that goes into going from a Life to an Eagle, but I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel for this son. Wahooooo!

He attended Scout camp last summer and earned many badges, most of which were electives (shocking, I know). So now all he has left to earn are 5 required ones (i.e. the ones that aren't very fun according to the boys). He's actually started all of them but needs to finish them up. Now we're in the home stretch, thankfully.

Scouting is defiintely beneficial to the boys. Not only do they learn valuable skills, but there's something to following through with the Scouting program and finishing it up through the Eagle rank, you know, a stick-to-itiveness quality. I think it helps them feel a sense of accomplishment and teaches them that hard work is a good thing and worth it in the end. Of course, my husband and I have pushed our boys to do Scouting and I'm not sure they would've pursued it without our gentle encouragement (i.e. "No computer time until you've finished this badge."). I know, as a mom, that they'll be glad they earned their Eagles (at least that's what I tell myself).

So we're one step closer now--and to think I only have two more sons after this one :).

No comments: