Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Confessions of a Completely (In)sane Mother by Kersten Campbell


Warning: do not read this book while drinking milk because the milk will definitely come shooting out your nose while you laugh at these stories (and who needs another mess to clean up?).

This book is filled with hilarious stories. I'm sure, I think, that Kersten Campbell isn't actually insane--though I did wonder a few times. I laughed out loud at her stories, probably because I could relate to them so well (I still think she planted a video camera at my house and recorded the antics of my family).

I read the chapter, Older but Dimmer, out loud to my kids because it starts off, "It's a proven fact that once a child turns thirteen years old, a parent's IQ score suddenly drops ten points. It's true . . . just ask them." My kids totally believe that my IQ drops at least 50 points when they become teenagers. Oh, and I become very old-fashioned, too, doing everything the old way.

I loved the chapter about the Cub Scouts tying everyone up in knots. She hit the nail on the head when she described having a den meeting with a bunch of boys.

This book is a perfect gift for any mother, even for those who have "normal" families. (I personally don't know what it's like to have a normal family).

Buy this book for your mom, grandma, mother-in-law or any other woman who needs a good laugh. Laughter is the best medicine and for me, after all the things my kids do to me, if I don't laugh, I cry.

Fun and funny book--I recommend it!

2 comments:

Liz said...

This sounds fun! And with Mothers Day coming up, could be a perfect gift. There's also a great book out about how to be a good mother-in-law ("The Mother-in-Law Manual," by Susan Lieberman). It acknowledges the whole wicked witch stereotype, but it's more written for intelligent thoughtful mothers who want to have good family relationships with their married children. I think it's also great for those married children to maybe have a better understanding of their own moms and MILs! Nice interesting style -- for example, the first chapter? Dr. Spock, I still need you.

Rebecca Talley said...

Sounds like a fun book, Liz. Thanks for stopping by.