Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Ready For Summer

It’s been snowing and snowing and snowing, and snowing some more. I can’t believe how much snow we’ve had. The ground has been covered with snow since the beginning of January—almost four weeks straight.

It’s wonderful to have so much snow because snow this winter means water during the summer. Colorado has suffered from a drought for most of the time I’ve lived here. We see the effects of the drought each summer when we have to start choosing between watering our garden or taking showers. I might be weird, but I always choose the shower. So all this snow means I may actually have a garden this summer.

The downside of the snow is the dangers it causes on the roads. We had a fatal accident last week because of icy road conditions. During an intense storm on Sunday and Monday, the police asked people to only call if the accident involved injuries or suspected substance abuse. Otherwise, motorists involved in accidents were told to go home and call the police later.

We’ve also experienced bitter cold. Temperatures dipped 10-20 degrees below zero every night for a few weeks and during the day the high was an average of about 15 degrees. While on the Klondike campout, my husband set a cup of water on the truck bumper, turned around to get a packet of hot chocolate mix, and then picked up his cup of ice. Yep, the water had frozen that fast. Now that’s cold.

Last night we had winds in excess of 40 miles an hour which caused snow drifts across our 1/8 mile long driveway. It also whipped snow all over the roads. We have snow inside our horse trailer because of the winds.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m ready for summer!

2 comments:

Josi said...

Me too! I love the snow, really, but I'm about done with it now. We have a septic tank and a few years ago had to pump it 3 times in a month because of too much spring run off. I don't look forward to that at all.

BTW--I didn't know you lived in Colorado. I'm working on a book set in a fictional town which would be similar to Sterling--I'd love to pick your brain if you're interested. kilpack@gmail.com

Pendragon Inman said...

i guess this would be a bad time to mention the highs and lows of Bullhead City, Arizona?

My AC had to come on in the office yesterday because inside got to 80. Course, the outside was still cooler... but it was still like 63 or something. Don't ask me how that one worked.

but, i remember the horrid snow days of Tooele! I prayed every day when my hubby would take off before sunrise for work (into SLC). Roads unplowed and he had a crappy car to drive. I won't mention how many cars we went through in the short amount of years we lived in Snow-land just from winter driving problems. (shiver)

Anyways, you can't blame me too much for voting against the summer thing. I'm enjoying the 60s for a change. Summer means 120s for months on end... and that's HOT!

:) Either way, be safe.
Stay warm.

if you simply can't stand it any longer, you can come hang at my place for a while :P Laters