Friday, July 6, 2018

Life Goes On

Back when we were first married, my husband and I used to watch a television show called Life Goes On and the theme song was Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da by The Beatles. If you're not familiar with this TV show, it's about an All-American family trying to live their lives amidst everyday trials and tribulations. Except for one difference, their son has Down syndrome.

My husband and I loved this show, and we watched it regularly, never knowing that years down the road we'd have a similar experience raising a son with DS.

My son loves to listen to music and he'll often find a particular song that he listens to over and over and over again. And I mean, over and over and over again. The other morning, I walked into the kitchen where he was listening to music and dancing (as he does). What song was it? Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da. Suddenly, I was transported back to a time before I knew anything about being a parent and long, long before I knew anything about being a parent of a child with DS. I remember watching this show and thinking about the extra difficulties having a child with DS would bring and never thinking that would be me. I enjoyed watching the different episodes that explored having a child with DS as well as marveling at the actor, Chris Burke, who memorized lines and acted in the show.

I had no idea I'd be living a TV show that I loved to watch. I also had no idea of all the awesome and wonderful things having a child with DS would bring into my life--the different experiences, the new understanding, the opportunity to meet amazing people. And most of all, the blessing of having this little boy (who is soon growing into a young man) as my son. I've learned that different isn't bad, it's just different. And that's okay.






Isn't life funny? Life definitely goes on.


No comments: