Friday, March 29, 2013

My Heart is Happy Because He Lives

Though I think about the Savior every day, I particularly think of the crucifixion during this time of year. I don't like to dwell on all that he suffered in Gethsemane--it hurts my heart. I cannot fathom the pain that he endured in the Garden--enough pain that he bled from every pore. And it wasn't just the pain from sins, but every type of suffering imaginable. I have no idea how He did that, only that He did.

And he didn't have to. He had the power to stop it. He had the power to strike down all those who were mocking Him and torturing Him. He didn't have to lay down His life, He chose to. He made a conscious choice to give His life for each of us because He loves us.

And what He asks of us in return is to keep His commandments. If we truly love him, we will. "If ye love me, keep my commandments." (John 14:15) After all that He has sacrificed for us, it seems a small thing to try to keep His commandments, especially when the reward for so doing is eternal life.

For me, Easter is much more about the resurrection, that He lives. And because He lives, my parents live. My grandparents live. My family and friends who've passed through the veil all live. We may be separated for a time here in mortality, but because of Christ's atoning sacrifice, we can be together again for all of eternity. That makes my heart happy.

I had very little time to know my parents in mortality and if I thought that was all there is, I'd be distraught. I'm so thankful to know that death does not end relationships and that I will have the opportunity to know my parents some day. If I can overcome my weaknesses and faults and lay my sins at His feet, I can live with the Savior for eternity.

I am eternally grateful for Christ's sacrifice on a very personal level. I know that He lives. I know that He is my Savior and Redeemer. I hope to be more like Him. To forgive as He did. To love as He did. To live as He did.

May we all have a wonderful Easter and remember all that the Savior has done for us.

No comments: