Thursday, December 6, 2012

Finding New Authors

There are the books everyone has heard about: Twilight, Hunger Games,  Harry Potter. But what about all those books written by people you’ve never heard of? Some of them are treasures, just waiting to be found, and that’s what this blog hop is all about: the books you might not have heard about, but that you might end up loving.

I was tagged by Julie Coulter Bellon. You can learn more about Julie on her website or her blog, and  where you can then connect with her on Twitter, and even Pinterest. 
Here’s a little info about my current project:
1: What is the working title of your book? Aura
2: Where did the idea come from for the book? I knew a guy in high school who claimed to be a warlock and that he'd gotten his powers from his dad. I asked myself, what if the son didn't want to be like his dad and what if it were demons and what if a girl had enough power to fight the demons and what if her power came from her virtuous choices.
3: What genre does your book fall under? Young Adult Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
4: Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? The villain: Cillian Murphy (Scarecrow in Batman Begins), Melinda: Julianne Moore. I actually found photos of each of my characters, including the main character, Crystal, but they aren't famous actors.
5: What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book? Everything in Crystal Scott's life finally seems perfect--until a powerful demon thirsts for her Light.
6: Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency? I have self-published this book after having three novels traditionally published.
7: How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript? Over a year (in my defense, I have 10 kids).
8: What other books would you compare this story to within your genre? I'd say my book is a mix between the TV show Supernatural and Twilight (without the vampires).

9: Who or What inspired you to write this book? Young girls who don't see themselves as being powerful. I wanted to empower young girls and help them realize that they have strength.
10: What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest? Crystal's power to fight the demons comes from her virtuous choices--her power is directly tied to her choices, including her choice to remain a virgin.
Here are links to some great books I've read this year:
The Reluctant Bachelorette by Rachael Renee Anderson
The Kindling by Braden Bell
Checkin' It Twice by various LDS authors
On Little Wings by Regina Sirois

Check them out! You might find some new authors you love!

2 comments:

Why Not? Because I Said So! said...

You are 1000 shades of awesome! May I use this information when I review your book?

Rebecca Talley said...

Absolutely!