Friday, August 31, 2012

New Genre: Rural Fantasy

I was thinking about genres yesterday. My current project is a YA urban fantasy so I was thinking about what makes it an urban fantasy. I live in a very rural area (one church building and a gas station make up our "town"). I was driving into the city to pick up my daughter from cheerleading practice and glanced across the rural scenery on my way. Suddenly I had an idea. What if I created a whole new genre and named it rural fantasy? What if this new genre was about scarecrows possessed by demons or ghosts inhabiting the cornfields? What if barns actually housed vampires and witches ran the local farm co-op? And that hound dog, what if it was really a werehound? I think I could really make a go of this new genre. What do you think?

1 comment: