Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Summer Book Trek
This is my wrap-up post for the Summer book Trek that I participated in over at the LDS Fiction blog.
This summer was crazy busy with 9 of my 10 kids at home, Wood Badge Training (for my husband--2 different long weekends in another state) for the BSA, Scout camp, drama camp, MTC camp, 4-stake Youth Conference (my husband is serving as Stake Young Men's President so he's been very involved with all stake youth activities), garden, trip to California, having my son return home from his mission to Italy, and moving that same son and my oldest daughter up to Provo this last weekend. Yep, it was insane and I'm just glad I kept my head above water :).
Here's my answers to the questions:
1. How many fiction books by LDS authors did you read? Only 2
Farworld Water Keep by J. Scott Savage
Season of Sacrifice by Tristi Pinkston
2. Did you read more than you would have read if you hadn't participated in this book trek?
Yes, I probably wouldn't have read anything.
3. Did the reviews posted by other participants influence which titles you read? How?
I liked reading the other reviews and will pick up other books based on the reviews.
4. Did the Whitney awards influence which titles you read? No.
5. Did the many, many virtual blog tours that happened this summer influence which titles you read? Yes.
How? I participated in the blog tour for Farworld.
6. Did you finish all the books you had planned to read? Yes.
7. Did you discover any new authors whom you now love? Yes. Love Tristi and Jeff, er, J. Scott.
8. Did you nominate any of the books you read for Whitney awards? Not yet.
9. Would you be interested in another LDS themed reading challenge either this winter, or next summer? Yes.
It was fun participating, though the other participants all put me to shame with the number of books they read. Wow, some of them must be speed readers! I really enjoyed reading everyone's reviews and I think it helped bring more awareness to LDS fiction.