Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Crazy Summer

I've been absent from blogging for a while. It seems like life became so crazy I could hardly breathe for a bit.

The end of the school year was hectic and then I started potty-training my youngest. I'd tried potty-training him before, but gave up after a few days. This time, I decided to stick it out. The first week was a bear with plenty of accidents, but now, more than a month later, he's potty-trained. Yay!!!! He sleeps in underwear. He has an accident here and there, but he's doing great. I'm going to write about what I did more in-depth on my blog about my son The Upside of Down if you're interested or know anyone else who might be.

My 20-year-old daughter came home to be a counselor at a theater camp. Just prior to the beginning of the camp, we all went to the lake with my sister's family. We were playing in the water and having a great time when my daughter, Olivia, had to leave to attend a meeting for the camp. We didn't get an reception out at the lake so when we left an hour later, we had some strange messages on our phones. We got the "call" parents don't want to get: our daughter had been involved in a serious car accident and was on route by ambulance to the hospital.

It took us almost an hour to get the hospital, all the while worried and stressed at what we'd find. I rushed into the ER and found her on a backboard with a neck collar waiting for x-rays--not an image that I'll soon forget. She was bloody and crying. A state patrolman was there giving her a ticket when we arrived. Yep, giving her a ticket. We didn't even know how injured she was and he was giving her a ticket.

Thankfully, she ended up with only a concussion. She should have died. She definitely had angels round about her. She was in the passing lane when it was about to end so she merged into the right lane. the car ahead of her was going slower than she anticipated, so she slammed on her brakes. She went off the highway and the car went up on its nose, turned a circle or two while on its nose, then came to rest on its roof. She'd left the lake not wearing her seat belt, but had been prompted to put it on. That saved her life. Had she not been wearing her seat belt, she would've been ejected and she would never have survived the accident.

Those who watched it happen and were on scene shortly afterward, were amazed she survived. Even the insurance adjuster who saw the totaled car was amazed. I am just so thankful Heavenly Father protected her and kept her safe.

She is now walking to work and everywhere else, but she is walking.

I'll blog more about our crazy summer in the next week or so.


No comments: