Friday, September 30, 2011

Writing Ups and Downs

First, for a writing "up." The cover for The Upside of Down is on a Goodreads list of breath taking covers of 2011. If you like this cover and want to vote for it here is the link http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/12809.Breath_Taking_Covers_Of_2011_2012#9634194. Thanks!

Now, for a writing "down." I wrote a short ebook Hook Me: What to Include in Your First Chapter to help aspiring writers know what to include in a first chapter. It's based on my experience reading many, many first chapters from novice writers. I placed it on Kindle and on Smashwords for $.99. Earlier this week, someone posted a very negative reviewon Amazon giving it 2 stars and warning people to stay away. The reviewer even said that after reading the entire book he/she asked for a refund of the $.99. Others who've read the book then posted 5-star reviews. Interestingly enough, the 2-star reviewer changed his/her rating to 1-star and then another very negative review popped up with another 1-star. Bad reviews are nothing new, but this one seems odd, almost as if the reviewer(s) is on a personal vendetta or crusade to stop people from purchasing my ebook. I have no idea what sparked such a response nor how my book might have offended the reader(s). It's been interesting to watch and disappointing that someone would be on such a crusade to stop every potential reader from purchasing the book simply because he/she didn't find it valuable. I don't understand it. The reviews are here if you want to read them http://www.amazon.com/Hook-Me-Include-Chapter-ebook/dp/B004Q9TX18/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1317391433&sr=8-3.

Writing makes me feel bi-polar at times. Up one minute, down the next. Some days I feel like quitting and never writing another word and other days I feel like there will never be enough time to write all that's in my head and heart. Quite the strange business. I've often thought it would be easier to be a brain surgeon, but as my friend Josi Kilpack pointed out, you can't continually revise a brain surgery you have to actually get it right the first time.  Guess I'll stick to writing.

2 comments:

John Waverly said...

It's entirely possible that the negative review had nothing to do with your writing. Unscrupulous people can buy reviews: they can buy good reviews for their books and bad reviews of others. It's sad, immoral, and a violation of policy, but it happens all the time. That probably doesn't make you feel better. You're a good writer. Congrats on the cover.

Lolawid said...

Wow! Those were pretty harsh! Sorry about that. I do love your cover and the Upside of Down! Thanks!