Friday, February 15, 2019

What I'm Writing--It May Surprise You

Last year, I had hopes of writing several books. I wrote and published two, On Deck for Love and Wedding Weekend. Before I could get started on another one, it was summer break and we headed to Colorado to see family and friends and to clean out our house there.

I spent the summer cleaning out that house and then figuring out what to do with all the stuff when I came back to Texas. We were thrilled when the house sold, and on the day we signed the papers, we found out my husband was losing his job of 29 years. Yep, 29 years. A job that we thought we'd have--and counted on--until retirement. And we moved our family to Texas, away from all our extended family and friends and the home and property that we'd built and improved ourselves in Colorado, to keep this job with its benefits. But that didn't happen and once we found out he was losing his job, my husband and I spent the next few months trying to figure out finances and where to go from there, so my writing took a back seat.

We eventually decided to open our own business in hopes of doing IT contract work. It seems to be picking up and we're hopeful it will be successful. (If you know any companies in need of outsourcing IT work or in need of customized software to help with their business processes to be more efficient and more profitable, let me know)

After getting through the holidays and enjoying all of my kids and gorgeous grandkids, I decided it was time to get back to writing, because writing brings me joy. I may not have recognizable, bestselling books or be a household name, but I love to create stories. I've been working on a romance with a billionaire--I know, that market seems flooded right now, but I'm hoping to gain some new readers who still enjoy this sub-genre.

But then there's this other story that just keeps circling my mind. Not a romance. Not even an adult story. It's a middle grade story--and I don't really write middle grade. I read it, but I'm not well-versed in the writing aspects. But this story keeps popping into my head. I can hear the voices and see the characters. All the "problems" I saw with writing it seem to be melting away. Each day that I walk my son to school, new scenes and bits of dialogue come to me. So, I'm going to try to write it. It's tentatively called Club Sunshine. If you know me and some of my passions, you might be able to figure out the main plot of the story, but I'm not going to say anything else right now. Not until I get the rough draft done.

Then I'll be in search of an agent. so if you know any agents who are interested in middle grade fiction, send them my way :).

Thanks for reading!

Love and Light,
Rebecca

No comments: